Foraging for wild mushrooms is a popular activity in Washington State, known for its lush forests and diverse fungal flora. However, with great variety comes increased risk for the inexperienced forager. It’s crucial to understand which mushrooms are safe to eat and which are potentially dangerous. In this guide, we will discuss some of the most toxic mushrooms in Washington State, focusing on their appearance, habitat, and symptoms associated with ingestion.

Death Cap (Amanita phalloides)

The Death Cap is one of the most poisonous mushrooms in the world and is responsible for a significant number of mushroom-related fatalities. It can be found throughout Washington State, typically growing in association with oak, pine, and other deciduous trees. The Death Cap has a greenish, slightly viscid cap and white gills. Its stem has a white, membranous ring near the top and a bulbous base. Ingesting this mushroom can cause severe gastrointestinal symptoms, liver and kidney failure, and death.

Destroying Angel (Amanita ocreata, Amanita bisporigera)

Destroying Angel is another highly poisonous Amanita species, characterized by its bright white appearance and smooth cap. Like the Death Cap, it is often found in association with trees, particularly oak and conifers. This mushroom also has a bulbous base, and its stem lacks a ring. Consumption of the Destroying Angel can lead to gastrointestinal symptoms, liver and kidney failure, and death if not promptly treated.

Autumn Galerina (Galerina marginata)

The Autumn Galerina is a small, brown mushroom with a conical or bell-shaped cap, brown gills, and a thin stem. It grows on decomposing wood, making it difficult to differentiate from harmless brown mushrooms, such as Honey Mushrooms or Psathyrella species. The Autumn Galerina contains amatoxins, like the Death Cap and Destroying Angel, and can cause severe gastrointestinal symptoms, liver and kidney failure, and death.

Fly Amanita (Amanita muscaria)

Fly Amanita is a distinctive mushroom with a bright red cap covered in white warts. Despite its striking appearance, it is less toxic than other Amanita species but can still cause poisoning if ingested. Its toxins, ibotenic acid and muscimol, can cause gastrointestinal distress, confusion, hallucinations, and seizures.

Gyromitra Species (False Morels)

Gyromitra species, commonly known as false morels, are often mistaken for the highly sought-after true morels. They can be distinguished by their wrinkled, brain-like cap and solid, chambered stem. Gyromitra species contain the toxin gyromitrin, which can cause gastrointestinal symptoms, seizures, and, in severe cases, brain swelling and death.


While foraging for mushrooms in Washington State can be an enjoyable activity, it is essential to have a thorough understanding of the various toxic species to avoid accidental poisoning. Proper identification and knowledge of poisonous mushrooms are critical to ensuring your safety and the safety of others. When in doubt, do not consume a mushroom, and always consult an experienced forager or mycologist to confirm your identifications.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

How can I tell if a mushroom is poisonous?

It is difficult to know if a mushroom is poisonous just by looking at it, as many toxic mushrooms closely resemble edible varieties. Always consult a reliable field guide and seek the help of experienced foragers or mycologists for accurate identification.

Can cooking a poisonous mushroom make it safe to eat?

Cooking does not always destroy the toxins present in poisonous mushrooms. It is best to avoid consuming any mushroom that you are unsure of or cannot positively identify.

What do I do if I suspect I’ve ingested a poisonous mushroom?

If you think you’ve consumed a poisonous mushroom, immediately seek medical attention or contact your local poison control center. Do not attempt to self-treat or induce vomiting without consulting a medical professional.



No responses yet

Bir cevap yazın

E-posta hesabınız yayımlanmayacak. Gerekli alanlar * ile işaretlenmişlerdir